Saturday, September 30, 2017

Dear Deborah...

We never got the chance to say goodbye.

Friday evening our dear friend and co-worker, Deborah Morrisey, passed away after a battle with liver cancer.  Many of you knew Deborah from the store, especially as she shared her creativity and artistic gifts with us through the many classes she taught. I know I learned so much from her and enjoyed each and every class I took with her. I loved how she colored and boy, did she love to color! Pencils, Copics, Zig watercolor, coloring with re-inkers you name it she could color with it. She taught me her little tricks and secrets like the art of 'flicking' when she used Copics. We joke a lot how the people who take our classes always want their cards to look exactly like the samples. When it came to Deb's classes I was at the head of the line on that one. If I could get my images to come out like hers I was a very happy girl.

The last time I saw her we colored in the hospital. I even took notes because I knew then that she didn't have a lot of time left and I selfishly wanted to absorb as much of her wisdom as I could. I was hoping to have another chance to spend some time with her, make her laugh if I could. She always said I could make her laugh.

Deborah gave a lot of herself to everyone at the store. She didn't have an easy life and the store was her safe place, her happy place. She worked very hard, long hours and had a career that spanned a wide variety jobs and talents. She had her family. Family was so important and precious to Deborah. She loved her sons and her grandchildren. She was over the moon about her first granddaughter! Her picture would pop up as a the screen saver on her iPad. Deborah was always sharing  photos of her and stories of her latest achievements and her eyes would light up when she talked about her.

Deborah also had her faith. There were many Saturday afternoons we would work til closing together and she would fret she wouldn't make it to the church on time for Saturday evening mass. I'd tell her to go and I'd finish the drawer and tidy up so she could make the service. I hope she has found peace through her faith and the rest she deserves. I am forever grateful her pain is gone. I will be reminded of her and smile as I gaze on her many cards that decorate the walls of the store. I will see her in every image I color as I remember her kind words of instruction and encouragement. I will see her in every corner of the store and hear her voice when I'm alone at the beginning of the day or when I close at night and all times in between.

Goodbye Deborah, until we meet again. Love always, Donna

Just a handful of her beautiful work over the years


















2 comments:

sharon said...

Donna, what a lovely tribute to our friend Donna. Very sad that she was taken from us too soon. She was so happy to be retired and watching her Granddaughter a couple of days a week. She will be sorely missed at the store, always ready to help you find something, or always sharing ideas. May we find peace and understanding that she no longer suffers. Bless her family as they grieve the loss of their dear one.

Sue Drees

Erin (CelticCrafter) said...

These are such lovely words, Donna, and very heartwarming (yet bittersweet). I had only been able to visit once a year for the past 3 years now, but even the very first time that I met Debbie she made me feel like we were friends already! Debbie was truly one of the kindest and most generous people I have ever met, and I am so grateful that I was able to have had her in my life, even in as small a way as it was. She taught me (and my mom) so much, and was always SO encouraging! (We love you all at BSS!)

Debbie will be greatly missed, but I will take some comfort in the knowledge that she is no longer suffering. Sincerest condolences to her family (and to you all).

With love and sympathy,
Erin C. (and my mother Ruth)